This Old Starship Kit


 
 

     I've messed up models before. I've even seriously messed up a modeling job before. In some cases, the model would get re-worked if the job wasn't much trouble or too time consuming. To re-work the failed paint job on the Enterprise, it would be a lot of trouble and it would be very time consuming. Still, I was so pleased with the build that it would be a shame to leave it looking like this. It took two years to get up the nerve to finally do something.

    All of the paint and decals were sanded off in preparation for repaint. In doing so, I learned much about the acrylic paint cocktail I had conjured up. I also learned a lot about why it's not so good an idea to spray heavy coats of such a mix on a model in such a short time.

    The color coat of this model consisted of three basic types of acrylic paints:  metallic, non-metallic and clear. By mixing them all and spraying on a very heavy coat, the three types of paint had time to separate into layers before drying. The metallic particles were the heaviest so they sank to the bottom of the coat. The non-metallic pigments were a little lighter and became the middle layer, hiding the metallic pigment underneath. The clear paints floated on top. I was able to clearly see this layering while sanding the paint off. (Color differences in the images above are actually layers of different color primer coat underneath the acrylic paint.)

    Once I was satisfied that I had sanded off enough of the cracked and "orange-peeled" surface and the decals on it, I felt I was ready to start repainting.


 

on to chapter 8:
MORE RESEARCH


intro
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10

TUTORIALS AND KIT REVIEWS